Charcot Foot Support Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can you relate to this painting?

2 posters

Go down

Can you relate to this painting? Empty Can you relate to this painting?

Post  my_left_foot Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:08 am

Last year, in September, I went down to Sydney (Australia) to see Monet's works at the Gallery of New South Wales. At the time I had just come out of two weeks in hospital, because a nincompoop technician had applied a TCC too tightly to my left foot and IT had caused me to get cellulitis and an ulcer on top of my foot. I had never had an ulcer before this. Anyway I came out in a wheelchair, which was really all a bit too little too late, as I had already had Charcot's and CROW boot for 9 months. Anyway, when I went to the Gallery of NSW in the wheelchair, my friend was buying the ticket for Monet and I looked over and saw this incredible painting which I was magnetically drawn to. I wheeled away from my friend and zoomed over to the painting. I could not get over at the look on the subject' faces. My friend came over and I said - look at this painting, they've both got Charcot's foot, look at the bandages on their feet and legs. It's Charcot's. But mostly look at their faces - I know that look on their face, it is "LEFT FOR DEAD". Click on my link to see the painting, but more interestingly read what the painting is about. I printed it out and laminated and gave each of my Orthopaedic Surgeons a copy of it, without saying a word. This painting is 2 x 3 metres - Son's of Clovis, painted in 1880 by Evariste Luminais. Click here: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=File:%27The_Sons_of_Clovis_II%27,_oil_on_canvas_painting_by_%C9variste_Vital_Luminais,_1880,_Art_Gallery_of_New_South_Wales.jpg&limit=500

What do you think?

Melanie.
my_left_foot
my_left_foot

Back to top Go down

Can you relate to this painting? Empty Re: Can you relate to this painting?

Post  joyceful Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:21 am

Interesting picture for sure, Melanie. I see what you mean. Can you imagine how frustrating it would be to have a serious health problem back then. No wonder, the look of despair.
I have been reading the autobiography of a Dr. Richard Bernstein from Texas. He has been a diabetic since the age of 12 and if he is still living would be in his 80s..
When he was diagnosed with diabetes, the doctors knew about as much about diabetes as the doctors today know about Charcot Foot. And it is a miracle that he survived the primitive methods that they used to treat his diabetes. The name of the book is Diabetes Solutions and is well worth reading. Although I am discouraged with the lack of knowledge of Charcot Foot, I am happy that medicine is improving by leaps and bounds every day as scientists are continually discovering new ways to treat diseases.
Anyway, thanks Melanie for that picture. I'm so glad that I was able to get my foot rebuilt and I no longer have that look of frustration on my face.
Joyce

joyceful

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum