Charcot Foot Support Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many diabetic foot amputations are preventable

2 posters

Go down

Many diabetic foot amputations are preventable Empty Many diabetic foot amputations are preventable

Post  Tj12761 Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:57 pm

In Diabetes Today
25-AUG-2009

WASHINGTON - It costs $1,400 to cover the oozing sore on the diabetic's foot with a piece of artificial skin, helping it heal if patients keep pressure off that spot. So when Medicare paid for the treatment but not the extra $100 for a simple walking cast to protect it, an artificial skin maker last year started giving free casts to some needy patients.

Without the right cushioning, "the person will walk to the bus stop and destroy it," fumes Dr. David G. Armstrong of the Southern Arizona Limb Salvage Alliance.

Limb-salvage experts say many of the 80,000-plus amputations of toes, feet and lower legs that diabetics undergo each year are preventable if only patients got the right care for their feet. Yet they're frustrated that so few do until they're already on what's called the stairway to amputation, suffering escalating foot problems because of a combination of ignorance - among patients and doctors - and payment hassles.

Read more by clicking here.
Tj12761
Tj12761
Admin

Back to top Go down

Many diabetic foot amputations are preventable Empty Yes Theresa - many more peole would be diagnosed with Charcot's if they still had feet

Post  my_left_foot Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:20 pm

Hi Theresa

I have not posted online for a while because my Charcot's has been relatively stable over the last year. However I have aggrevated my foot by too much activity and non-compliance with my charcot orthotic for 5 days during a sailing trip to Desolation Sound, BC, Canada. Ended up at St. Joseph's Hospital, Comox, Vancouver Island for x-rays, blood tests and anti-biotics. So I suppose when I have an episode I feel the need to login and rant.

Through my research into Charcot's over the last 3 years and the lack of knowledge and information about Charcot's generally, I believe that thousands more diabetics would be diagnosed with Charcot's if they had an early diagnosis. I believe that many amputees would have been told they had Charcot's and could have got treatment but they probably presented at the doctors too late or their GP's did not diagnose early enough and they walked around on their Charcot's until it was time to take their leg off.

I'd like to follow up with JeepGirl/Suzanna to see how her Charcot's feet are now. The last post I read from Marty was that he did not feel that all he had been through with the surgery was worth it. I hope that he is not suffering too badly. Best wishes to him and yourself.

Melanie
my_left_foot
my_left_foot

Back to top Go down