Charcot Foot Support Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hobbies, How do you keep busy?

3 posters

Go down

Hobbies, How do you keep busy? Empty Hobbies, How do you keep busy?

Post  Admin Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:35 pm

Okay so this is my biggest problem most of my hobbies I am no longer able to do after charcot so what are some of the things you do to pass the time and during your free time?
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://charcot.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Hobbies, How do you keep busy? Empty Hobbies....

Post  my_left_foot Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:03 pm

Hi Marty

Before Charcot's my favourite hobby was sailing on a 50ft Benateau in our beautiful Moreton Bay which boasts 365 islands - one for each day of the year. In fact, sailing, I would say, is one of the worst hobbies for contributing to the onset of Charcot's. I used to come home every Wednesday and Saturday with swollen ankles but I used to think it was a fluid retention problem. I sailed for about two years and even when I was in a wheelchair last year with my Charcot's they wheeled me to the yacht. I have Skipper and Navigation certification.

I like anything to do with aviation and I do some sort of flying twice a year: in open bi-planes (Red Baron 1935 replica barnstormer), gliders, cessnas, tomahawks, hot air ballooning, and this year the Yak52 warplane.

I also like travel, but I do feel more restricted in this with Charcot's. My last overseas trip was pre-Charcot's in January 2007 when I spent a month travelling through Vietnam. I am currently learning Vietnamese on Saturday mornings - Sin Chou! Oh I just remembered I have travelled in Australia over the last two years - Sydney three times, and also Hobart, Tasmania (nice place)!

I love dogs, but don't have one right now, as I don't think it would be fair to get another one, as I think dogs like a need a lot of walking, which I'm not up for. I feed 20 magpies in my backyard, and have four greedy goldfish.

I still work 4 days a week - I am a Uni. Lecturer in the international school of Griffith University in Brisbane. My subjects are Intercultural Studies, Management, Information Design, and Employment Relations. I have 140 students from China, Korea, Taiwan, HK, Burma, Vietnam, Japan, Central America, UAE, Saudi, Kuwait, Bahrain, Europe, Malaysia, Brunei, Indonesia, and Zimbabwe, to name a few. They keep me quite busy.

I like going to the movies, the ballet, art galleries and the theatre. I am going to go and see Swan Lake by the Russian Ballet Co. next month.

I also buy and sell on ebay. Love the internet. Have been chatting and surfing online for 12 years now.

Melanie.
This is me when I'm not lying down: bounce
my_left_foot
my_left_foot

Back to top Go down

Hobbies, How do you keep busy? Empty Wow!

Post  joyceful Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:35 am

What more can I say, Melanie? You are one busy lady..Charcot or no Charcot. I am still in a wheelchair a lot but am gradually increasing my walking each day. Should be able to discard the wheelchair completely in a few weeks. My daughter has been nagging me to start writing blogs for the internet as she is getting paid to do this. She is a school nurse so this is a part time thing. My son also writes blogs on the internet and is making really good money doing so. And besides that, he has a full time job. So for those who enjoy writing, and perhaps a little income, you may want to look into this as a pastime that will accomodate Charcot limitations. I have found that as far as housework and generally getting around, the wheelchair does not limit me very much at all. I found it amazing that I could do just about anything sitting down. Now that I am walking some, it does feel good to have that freedom though. It admittedly is easier to stir a pot of soup standing up...but not impossible sitting down. I read a lot which is educational and relaxing for me. When I was younger and stronger I used to love to build furniture but that hobby has had to go for sure now. Marty's wife, Teresa, is a photograher and a good one at that. That would be a feasible hobby albeit with some limitations but it is not something that I enjoy doing very much. I love to travel by car, and now I am free to do that with no problem. In fact before and after I had my surgery I had to drive over 2000 miles by myself to get to the doctor who was able to do my surgery and then as soon as I got my custom made shoes, I drove home again. That was in June and Oct this year, and in April, I drove to the same place to meet the surgeon, have my feet examined and schedule the surgery. So that is about 9,000 miles I drove this year to have my foot repaired and it was worth every mile and every minute. I guess, what I am saying is that there is life after Charcot Foot and your attitude will determine your altitude.
Joyce

joyceful

Back to top Go down

Hobbies, How do you keep busy? Empty Re: Hobbies, How do you keep busy?

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum